Muhammad Ali was one of the most famous boxers of all time, but he also had a fear of flying. Ali’s fear of flying developed after he experienced turbulence so bad that it sent plane equipment flying. He became so afraid of flying that he would only travel by plane if he wore his own parachute.
Ali’s fear of flying made it difficult for him to travel for his boxing matches. He would often have to take long car rides or trains to get to his fights. In 1971, Ali refused to travel to the Philippines for a fight against Joe Frazier because he was afraid of flying. The fight was eventually moved to New York City, where Ali won by decision.
Ali’s fear of flying continued for many years, but he eventually overcame it. In 1996, Ali lit the Olympic torch at the opening ceremony of the Atlanta Games. He traveled to Atlanta by plane, and he did not wear his parachute. Ali’s overcoming of his fear of flying was a testament to his strength and determination.
- Why Muhammad Ali Never Got on a Plane Without His Own Parachute: https://www.travelandleisure.com/travel-tips/celebrity-travel/muhammad-ali-airport-fear-of-flying
- Muhammad Ali was deathly afraid of flying. Louisville just named its airport after him: https://www.travelandleisure.com/travel-tips/celebrity-travel/muhammad-ali-airport-fear-of-flying
- How to Get Over Your Fear of Flying, According to Experts: https://www.neverendingfootsteps.com/how-i-overcame-my-fear-of-flying/
- Getting Over the Fear of Flying (Aerophobia): Symptoms & Treatment: https://www.healthline.com/health/fear-of-flying
Tips for Overcoming Fear of Flying
If you have a fear of flying, there are a few things you can do to overcome it:
- Educate yourself about flying. The more you know about how planes work and how safe they are, the less you will have to worry.
- Practice relaxation techniques. This could include deep breathing, meditation, or visualization.
- Start small. If you’re afraid of flying long distances, start by taking short flights.
- Avoid watching or reading news stories about plane crashes. This can only make your fear worse.
- Talk to a therapist. If your fear of flying is severe, you may want to seek professional help.
Remember, you are not alone. Millions of people have a fear of flying, and there are many resources available to help you overcome it.
featured image sources: https://www.nbcnews.com/news/sports/muhammad-ali-greatest-all-time-dead-74-n584776